Friday, November 23, 2018

Thankful Author 2018- Sorchia DuBois



Something Brand New to be Thankful For

I have something very special to be thankful for this year. My daughter just presented me with my first grandchild--a girl-Lily. And, to add to that, I was able to be with her for the birth--from start to finish. This is something I never thought I would be able to do--Never.  
For one thing, my daughter reached the ripe age of 40 and I thought she was securely set in her ways. For another, the idea of actually being with her and watching her go through the joy of childbirth never entered my mind until it happened. 
So let me tell you a couple of things. 

1-Backrubs are essential. A simple backrub at the right moment is worth its weight in gold. Seriously! Anytime--not just during childbirth. 

2-Never underestimate the power of a good nurse. OMG!! Such dedicated people! To all of you who are nurses or health care workers of any ilk—Thank you! 

3-Stay hydrated--and not with wine. 'Nuff said. 

4- Bring music. The one thing we lacked was white noise--and maybe some kind of smell that wouldn't drive the rest of the ward crazy. Incense would be too much, but maybe an essential oil. We needed music for relaxation and to drown out the screams from the delivery room. I'm not joking here, we heard screams for two days as ladies delivered babies. Not in a position to judge--who knows what the ordeal was like for them--but it's daunting when you know you (or the daughter you love) is next up at bat. 

5-Moms--if you get the chance to be with your daughter at this time, I highly recommend it. My mom wasn’t with me--I don’t think she would have been but I didn't really give her a chance and I regret that now. So if you can do it, do it! 

6- I 'm thankful Lily made her entrance in a modern hospital in Germany because my small town American county in Missouri ranks in the third world country range as far as infant and mother mortality, women's health care, and maternity care. Yep--Shannon county Missouri in the US of A is about the same as Guatemala in those areas. We should be ashamed of ourselves in the US for not demanding better. 

How does this tie into my writing life? Damned if I know--though every event in your life deepens your understanding of human nature and your connection with life--and so with readers. Will any of this wind up in a book--probably. How can you not add bits of drama this intense? I'm still buzzing with the whole experience—or is that the celebratory wine? 

Anyway, here's to Lily--a small but mighty force of change. I'm overwhelmingly thankful for her, for her mom and dad, for the time I have and am spending with them all, and for the exciting future in store for us all. 



On a more writerly note, I want to tell you all that the last book in my Gothic witch of a series has been a bit delayed by the aforementioned event. I hope for a spring publication date, but we'll see. This gives you plenty of time to check out the first two books in the series: Zoraida Grey and the Family Stones and Zoraida Grey and the Voodoo Queen. You can find them on Amazon or HERE on my website. And look for Zoraida Grey and the Pictish Runes along with a Zoraida Anthology called Witchling in the Spring. 

Also, I'm taking on editing projects for the new year at a low introductory price. If you are looking for copyediting or developmental editing, take advantage of very reasonable prices. Check it out here: WordWitch Editing

On the same note, I do promos on my website, too. Check out the CALENDAR and sign up for a date. (For a limited time, you get free promo graphics along with the promo spot which is also and will always be free.) 

Happy T-Day to all and to all a good night.



Bio
Award-winning author Sorchia Dubois lives in the piney forest of the Missouri Ozarks with eight cats, two fish, one dog, and one husband. 
  
A proud member of the Scottish Ross clan, Sorchia Dubis incorporates all things Celtic (especially Scottish) into her works. She can often be found at Scottish festivals watching kilted men toss large objects for no apparent reason.  
Contact me at any of these places.
Website: www.SorchiaDubois.com 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment