Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Thankful Author 2017- Veronica Blake


I’d like to start by thanking Angela for hosting this wonderful event on her blog.  Since the list of things and people I’m thankful for could go on and on, I’ve managed to narrow it down to just a few.
My family will always be what I’m most thankful for, of course.  I’ve been blessed with three amazing children and four beautiful grandchildren.  I’m so grateful my children have found love and happiness, and their children are growing, or have grown, into the most incredible people.  Next summer my oldest grandson will be married, and I hope to be there to witness every breathtaking moment as he begins this journey with his true love.  
Two years ago I became a caretaker for my ninety-three-year old mom after my beloved father passed away.  It has been the hardest, most challenging task I’ve ever imaged doing.  But, someday when I look back on these difficult times, I won’t remember all the extra work, or the frustration and sadness of watching her decline in health and mentality; I will remember how fortunate I was to spend this precious time with my beautiful mom.
As a writer I’m thankful for the opportunity to share just a few of the stories I have crowded into my head with my readers.  I’ll never live long enough to write them all.  I’ve been so lucky to have ten Historical Romances published with Kensington Publishing, Dorchester Publishing, Amazon Montlake Romance, and most recently—an eleventh book and my first Paranormal Romance—with The Wild Rose Press.  I’ve always believed that if in some small way the words I write touch the emotions of the people who read them, then I’ve achieved my goal as a writer, and for this, I am always thankful.


Blurb: 

Treasure lies deep in the Superstition Mountains, but is it worth the price…

Mateo Two Moons’ family has guarded dark secrets and unspeakable horrors for centuries. His Apache Blood Clan is dhampyre—half human, half vampire. But he will risk revealing the truth concealed in The Lost Dutchman’s Gold Mine, exposing his entire family, and even his own existence to claim his human mate and change the perilous fate of his clan.

Dawn Malone’s move to Arizona to teach middle school has expanded her horizons. Meeting new people, hiking the desert wilderness, and the lure of gold fever in the old mine is exactly what she needs.  The handsome Apache she encounters seems almost too good to be true.  Mateo’s sexy, dangerous air draws her in, seducing her heart and soul. But her intrigue concerning the secrets he keeps turns to confusion and horror as she begins to realize the man she’s falling for could be something she didn’t even believe existed.
  
Excerpt:

It had been hours since their enthusiastic tryst against the wall in her apartment, but she was still radiating a special glow only an act of such intense sexual activity could inspire. A smile claimed her kiss swollen lips as she thought about the amazing man who waited for her in the next room.

The vampire?

The unbelievable and secret world he claimed to exist in when he was away from her could not be as awful as it seemed if he was a part of it. But she was not going to think about any of that stuff tonight, she reminded herself.

The music was beginning again as Joseph Red Feather started his last music set of the evening.  Grabbing her evening bag, she headed out of the ladies’ room. She had only taken a couple of steps, though, when the breath stopped short in her chest and her feet ceased to move.

Mateo was walking toward her. Like a sleek dark panther, he moved through the crowd on the dance floor. His long hair had slipped out from behind one of his ears, partially covering his eye on that side of his face, and tumbling provocatively over one of his broad shoulders. Wearing all black, and in this dim lighting, his raven hair seemed to blend into his black jacket and shirt, making it appear as if his thick tresses had no ending.

She reminded herself to breathe.

As he drew nearer, she could see the suggestive glint in his dark gaze. His thoughts were as
transparent as the glass enclosure surrounding this rooftop establishment. Was he going to seduce her right here? Right now? She could only hope.

He was still several steps away, but his burning gaze was reaching out and touching her entire body intimately. His eyes moved over her with slow persuasion, before coming to rest on her trembling lips, which were parted with the panting breaths she was now taking.

If he kissed her right now, she was sure she would be the one who would lose control this time, and they might have a repeat performance of the one they had earlier tonight in her apartment—right here in the middle of the dance floor.

She drew in a ragged breath and unconsciously held it at the back of her throat for a moment before exhaling it in one sharp gust.

A slightly crooked smile curved his full lips as he held his hand out toward her. Her legs felt unsteady and weak on her sky-high stilettos.

“May I have this dance, Miss Malone?” he asked in a deep husky tone.

She stared at him with wide eyes. She couldn’t speak, so she merely nodded her head and reached out to take his hand. As their fingers entwined, Dawn was sure fireworks just went off overhead. He pulled her into his arms and they moved into the throng of other couples dancing to the slow romantic music. But she didn’t notice anyone other than the immortal man who held her in his loving embrace.

Her head rested in the crook of his neck and she breathed in the musky scent of his intoxicating cologne. One of his arms encircled her waist, holding her as close to him as possible. Their other hands were clasped together against their sides as they swayed to the haunting music wafting among the twinkling lights encircling the dance floor.

If it could be in her power she would never allow this captivating night to end. She knew
without a doubt this was where she had always been destined to be—in his arms now and always. As the music gently faded away, Mateo bent her backward with a graceful dip and leaned down over her. Time was suspended in this amorous moment as his mouth descended on her lips and claimed them with a tender kiss. It was more enchanting than a dream. And this was a dreamland Dawn wished she could stay in forever.

Buy Links:




Author Bio:



Veronica has spent her entire life in a small town in the Colorado Rockies.  Outdoor activities such as hiking, riding her ATV and camping are her favorite things to do.  She’s the proud mother of three adult children and four beautiful grandchildren.  She considers herself a hopeless romantic and a seeker of endless adventure.   Life, family, friends and music are her inspirations.
Her published books include: Texas Rose, Desperado Desire, Savage Bite; Apache Tigress, Texas Princess, Cheyenne Temptress, Colorado Passion, Yukon Love Song, Black Horse, White Owl and Superstition.

At this time, Veronica is working on the second book in a Paranormal Romance Series, entitled The Blood Clan. Superstition is the first book in this series, was a June 2017 release by The Wild Rose Press. 

Twitter:  @VeronicaBlake53

10 comments:

  1. The switch from being cared for by a parent to be the one doing the caring is always a tough one. Blessings to you and yours this Thanksgiving season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra. I hope you and your loved ones have a wonderful Thanksgiving, too. xo

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post, Veronica. Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones! xo

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Veronica. I know it can be tough with your mom, but you will absolutely look back on these moments with gratitude the rest of your life. You know I'm pulling for you all the way! I just bought my print copy of Superstition and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judith! I appreciate your kindness and support so much! OMG...you bought Superstition! Thank you!!! I have two of your books on my Kindle, but no time to read them, yet. But, I will! Have a beautiful Thanksgiving with all your boys! xo

      Delete
  4. First of all you will never regret looking after your mom in her later years but do look after yourself as well. Second...you write seduction with a deft hand...nice and hot but not graphic. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I know it's important for the caretaker to take care of themselves, that's not easy to do, and it's something I'm still working on. Thank you so much for your kind words about my writing. Since I had always written Historical Romances in the past, switching to a contemporary style was a challenge, but I'm loving it. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your loved ones. xo

      Delete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving! I enjoyed your excerpt. Taking care of a surviving parent takes a lot of stamina, but you'll look back someday and have some fantastic memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy, for your words of encouragement. I'm so glad you enjoyed the excerpt. I hope you have a beautiful Thanksgiving with your loved ones. xo

      Delete