Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Are You Prepared?

I've heard it said, "If you don't like the weather, just wait five minutes."

 
 Never has it been more true, then when you live in Alabama. Since March, I've seen the temperature hover at freezing, jump into the 80's and fall back down again. We've completely bypassed Spring for Summer as usual. I'm not complaining, I would much rather be hot than cold. During the winter I can't seem to get warm enough.

So what does all the crazy weather amount to? Disaster, that's what. More specifically... tornadoes. To give you a glimpse of what we're up against here, here's a quote from The Weather Channel, "Tornadoes are one problem in Alabama. With a peak tornado season between March and May, Alabama continues to be slammed by an average of 23 storms per season. Tornado chasers and citizens alike know that Alabama can be a location for severe storms."

Just last week we were let out of school early for impending weather and the same day there was a confirmed tornado touch down in the western part of Alabama. A common enough occurrence, this is something we'll once again be on high alert against as early Friday morning a cold front moves in, bringing the high from Thursday, a projected 84 degrees down to 62.  Not to mention that we're mere days away from the 2 year anniversary of one of the worst tornado outbreaks, when an EF5 hit Tuscaloosa. The storm killed 283 people in six states.

So here's my questions, "Are You Prepared?" Not just for a tornado, but for any type of disaster and how do you prepare? Do you go full scale Prepper mode- bunker and years worth of food ? Or do you go full scale Procrastinator mode- waiting to hit the grocery store at the last minute?


I myself am caught in between. I aspire to Prep and fall short- I've stocked water, got a few canned food items, the kids and I each have helmets, we've got a basement, and we're growing another garden this year (hopefully it will produce enough we'll be able to can the squash, green beans, and peas- last year, we had plenty to eat, but not enough to save.)

Leave a comment and tell me how prepared you are, I'd love to hear from you.




No comments:

Post a Comment