Saturday, November 23, 2019

Thankful Author 2019- Julie Howard



“Empty-nesting” doesn’t mean the nest stays empty. 

I can’t believe it’s been ten years since the second of our two children headed off to college and my husband and I officially became “empty-nesters.” That day, he walked the hallway between our kids’ bedrooms with tears in his eyes. He was the sentimental one that day. For me, the loss had come in little bits as the separation became more evident: they walked, then started school, their friends and activities took precedent in their lives. College was just one more step. 

With the exception of a few college years, our kids have stayed very close to us. And for that I am more thankful than I can express. I don’t mean in terms of miles, because our son moved to a neighboring state. Our children, now in their late 20s, have stayed in constant contact. We visit with our son as often as possible and he comes our way too. We text and share recipes (he’s an expert at the barbecue and recently started making his own sausage). Our daughter stayed in Boise, married and recently added a grandson into our lives. I am so fortunate at being able to watch him a couple of days a week, and witnessed his first steps just a couple of weeks ago! Our house once again is filled with toys, a high chair and sippy cups. My heart is more full now than I could have imagined. 

I’m grateful our adult children enjoy traveling with us in addition to their own travels. I’m thrilled my kids love exploring the world, as I do. I was able to tour Italy with my daughter several years ago, and then Ireland and England with my son and his girlfriend a couple of years ago. Our next trip will be a winter excursion to sunny San Diego with everyone. We are no longer a family of four – we are a family of seven – and I suspect we will continue to grow over time. 

Many parents worry about or long for those empty-nester years. The reality for me is they’ve been an adventure. For this, I’m grateful.

Julie Howard is the author of the Wild Crime series, and Spirited Quest. She is a former journalist and editor who has covered topics ranging from crime to cowboy poetry. She is editor of the Potato Soup Journal literary journal, and founder of the Boise chapter of Shut Up & Write. 

***
For one more week, Crime and Paradise is on sale for 99 cents (sale ends Nov. 29). Read the first book in the Wild Crime series before book three is released on Dec. 4!



Crime and Paradise
by Julie Howard
Published by The Wild Rose Press
$15.99 paperback; $4.99 digital (On sale for 99 cents until Nov. 29!)
291 pages

Meredith has been uprooted to the middle of nowhere with two kids and an abusive husband. After she fantasizes about ways to kill him, he ends up dead. Despite all the evidence pointing to her, Meredith finds an unlikely supporter and friend in the county sheriff. Together, they uncover some ugly truths about her husband and this small, isolated town.
Can Meredith make this place a new home for her family, or will the real secret behind her husband’s death send her away for good?

Buy Links






Wild Crime
by Julie Howard
Published by The Wild Rose Press
$15.99 paperback; $4.99 digital
275 pages

"I'm a murderer. I'm a murderer. I'm a murderer." 
Those three repeated words discovered in an old letter propel Meredith Lowe in a cross-country pursuit to unveil her mother's murky past. Danger stalks Meredith back to Hay City, Idaho as she peels apart the mystery: who is her father, and did her mother kill him? In finding the answer, will a growing love slip through her fingers?
Past merges with the present as the story races to its stunning conclusion.

Buy Links






1 comment:

  1. Great post! You are one lucky woman to have your children be so close to each other and to you. You did something right. Enjoy your family time.

    ReplyDelete