Saturday, February 14, 2015

Happy Valentine's- Author Interview- Diane O'Key



HAPPY VALENTINE'S
readers and with us to celebrate this universal day of love is author 
Diane O'Key.




Welcome to the blog Diane. 
Tell us three words that describe yourself starting with A, B, and C. 

Animated, Befuddled (by technology), Crafty (as in artsy-craft/sy J)

What are your three favorite things? 

Water—ocean, lake, river; nature—trees, birds, animals; vanilla anything

Are you self- published or with a publishing company (if so, which one?)? 

My publisher is The Wild Rose Press

Is there a process you stick to, or do you just write as it hits you?

I’m a ‘write in the mist/pantser,’ which means I know (or think I know) my characters—though they sometimes take me places I never expected—and have a general idea of where the story’s going. Major plot-points, conflicts, and the ending are clear, but not a clue how I’m going to get from A to G to P to Z. Challenging yet exhilarating as my characters drive the story and often surprise me…in a good way, usually…along the way.

Was there any particular inspiration for your characters or story? 

I write where my heart and imagination take me. I’ve always loved history and classical literature, and the Medieval Period remains one of my favorites. Thinking about writing a romance set after the Norman Conquest, I was floating in the pool one afternoon and BAM! Cort (think Chris Hemsworth—may I just say ‘YUM’?--though I didn’t know it at the time), the hero of CHERISH THE KNIGHT, popped full-blown into my head. And I thought ‘Aren’t you pretty.’ <g> Then I saw the heroine, Lexi, and the story was off and running.


 Music is a big influence on my writing. I have certain songs that inspire each chapter, or the whole book. What helps to inspire you? 

When writing historical romance I enjoy Josh Groban, Celtic Woman, and Irish pipes. And my CD of the original CAMELOT soundtrack is really tired J.  When working on contemporaries, Country is my go-to: especially love Chris Young, though Luke Bryan, Blake Shelton, Garth (of course!),Keith Urban, and Lady A to mention a few others get their fair share of play time.


 Will there be more books in your series, or can you tell us about any previous books? 

My second book, BEYOND WORDS, is a contemporary Blue Ridge Mountains, small-town romance. A lighter, easier read (and write, for sure!) than the historical.  I hope it’s a feel-good, makes you smile, makes you sigh story. With an HEA, of course! And I’m working on a short contemporary (for an all-proceeds-to Leukemia Society anthology) with 2 other multi-published authors; it will feature secondary characters from BEYOND WORDS as the hero and heroine.

 If you could spend the day with any celebrity, who would it be?

Oh, boy, toss up among Clint Eastwood, Tom Selleck,  Gary Sinise, and Kevin Costner. Although…sure would love to meet Chris Hemsworth in the flesh! May I add him as a ‘pretty’ DELICIOUS+ bonus?!

How about your favorite writer, book?

Do I have to choose one?! Impossible. TESS OF THE D’URBERVILLEs, WUTHERING HEIGHTS, THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, LORD OF THE FLIES, DEAR AND GLORIOUS PHYSICIAN. Contemporary/mainstream/romance authors: Wilbur Smith, John Forsythe, Nora Roberts, Celeste deBlasis, Laura London, Elizabeth Lowell’s and Jude Devereau’s early novels, Robyn Carr, Lynnette Austin, Margaret Mallory, Monica McCarty

When writing, which do you prefer to write with, computer or paper and pen?

Sticky notes are everywhere with one-liners or scene ideas as they come to me. For actual writing, though, I prefer the computer. Change, edit, layer details…and delete, delete, delete LOL



Blurb


 THE LAST THING ABBY MATHIESON WANTS…
is a take-care-of-the-business-end partner. Emotional and financial demons spur her dream of self-reliance and her vow to continue her aunt’s legacy, Beyond Words, a Blue Ridge Mountains book-and-gift shop.
IS WHAT SHE MOST NEEDS…
Trey Dalton, sexy CPA with a heart of gold and a backbone of steel, wants nothing more than to return to his home in warm, sunny Florida. But he made a deathbed promise to ensure Abby succeeds…whatever it takes.
Conflict and sexual tension ramp up as they wrangle over the shop and deal with Abby’s quirky best friend and the incorrigible resident parrot. Abby’s sworn to trust no man, but Trey has her tangled up worse than knotted fishing line. If she can’t overcome her insecurities before he unravels her finances and leaves town forever, her precious independence will cost her a love Beyond Words.

Excerpt

           “Ready to call it a day?” Trey asked.
            “And then some.” Abby yawned hugely behind her hand.
            “I’ll walk you to your car.”
             “I don’t have a car.”
            Trey frowned. “Don’t— How do you get here?”
            “Ever heard of feet?”
            He looked as if she’d used a foul word. “But…I mean, everybody…”
            She took pity on him. “Before you dig yourself a bigger hole, pardner, I own a car. But home’s only half a mile. I enjoy the walk.”
            His expression hardened. “You’re walking. At this hour.”
            “Why not?” Geez, what was the big deal?
            “It’s not safe. Dark. You’ll be alone.”
            “I do it all the time. Wear a luminous-striped vest.” She sniffed. “And I’m used to being alone.”
            His eyes flashed, part anger, part something softer, quickly gone. “Well, tonight you’re not walking anywhere except to my truck.”
            “You don’t have —”
            “Yeah, I do. Don’t argue. I’m too tired to go another round with you.”
            How had she missed that? His handsome face looked drawn under its golden tan, his winter-gray eyes weary.
            “I’ll get my jacket.”
            Trey swiped up his keys. “Meet you out front.”
            Once she’d hooked her seatbelt, Abby flipped down the vent.
            “Too much?” He notched the fan to low. “Sorry, I’m not used to cold.”
            Cold? He hadn’t seen anything yet. But then, he wouldn’t hang around long enough….
            All light vanished beneath overhanging trees when he turned off the main street. High
beams on, hands white-knuckled, he slowed on the serpentine, uphill climb. Yup, Abby thought,
a Flatlander, for sure.
            “I’ll walk you up.”
            “No need.” What she needed, now, was to escape. Before she did something stupid. Like sink her hands into that silky, sun-bleached hair and find out if he tasted as good as he looked.
           

 Buy Links



Bio

Diane O’Key (wife of our library courier, Dennis O’Key) invites you to celebrate the holidays with her new autumn-to-Christmas Blue Ridge Mountains romance, BEYOND WORDS.
She’d love to hear from you—all comments and questions welcome!


Follow on Twitter @DianeOKey

17 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me today, Angela! You've done a lovely job :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being a guest Diane. Beyond Words is the perfect name for a book store/gift shop. It makes me wish I could shop there myself. Wishing you a ton of sales.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Angela, for your patience and hard work putting this together. Yeah, I like the name, too, as it's also a double entendre for the love story :-) As I'm donating all royalties through 2/27 to Wounded Warrior Anglers (doing a fundraiser-book signing event for them on the 27th), I'm also wishing for a ton of sales

      Delete
  2. Oh, Diane, my soundtrack of the original Camelot is treasured, too. I'm assuming you meant the original Broadway production? How I wish I could have been around to see that show! I loved your medieval and I know I'll love this one just as much. It's waiting for me on my Kindle. May you have many happy sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original, for sure :-) Best ever! Can't thank you enough for your continued support and encouragement! You're a sweetie. Sure hope you enjoy BEYOND WORDS. And I'll always love Cort and Lexi...

      Delete
  3. Oh, a bit of oneupmanship here, looking at Barb--I did see the original Camelot on B'way and I can sing you the entire soundtrack if you don't mind hearing it slightly off key--though I do a good Julie Andrews impression ;-) Seems our musical tastes are very similar, Diane, especially when it comes to country. Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds, etc., A.D. LOL
      We could do a duet...know every word, don't we? :-)
      Thanks so much for stopping by. Happy Valentine's Day! Love is in the air

      Delete
  4. What a yummy excerpt :) I loved it. Trey sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a teaser... the book gets yummier LOL. Yeah, Trey is delicious...at least IMHO
      You're welcome. And thanks so much for stopping by. Much success with your own writing!

      Delete
  5. Having read both of your books, Diane, let me just say they go on the keeper shelf! They're too good for a single read. And Chris Young? Oh, yes, he's a keeper for sure! We're hungrily waiting for that next book!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lynn. Always there for me... I'm so blessed! Working, slowly but surely LOL, on the next :-)

      Delete
  6. I love the "write in a mist" phrase. Sounds more elegant than "pantser," even if they mean the same thing! Your cover is lovely and so is the excerpt. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like it better, too. And those who know me know I'm "in the mist" more often than out LOL. Thanks for your comments, Christy. Appreciate them...and you...for taking the time to stop by :-)

      Delete
  7. Your dialogue is sparkling!!! Good luck with the release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sparkling"... wow, you've made my day :-)Thanks so much, Hebby--I try LOL. Appreciate the good wishes and you stopping by. Your support always makes me smile.

      Delete
    2. Sorry it took me so long to reply, Hebby. Husband surprised me with a lovely dinner-dance river cruise--which was lovely!

      Delete
  8. sorry i'm a day late. was away from the computer. yes, camelot, the movie, deeply moved me. and then later on my kids one of whom is a Marine so inspired. and i like your hero choices too. good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete