Monday, November 3, 2014

Thankful Author- Madeline McDonald


November 3, 2014
THANKFUL AUTHOR BLOG ROUNDUP
Featuring Madeline McDonald

My Thanks:

I finally made it into print. I progressed from writing newspaper columns to a proper print book. One year ago, the Wild Rose Press published THE RESCUED HEART. 

In his youth, my Dad also made it into print.  He won third prize in a newspaper competition, for a story about a prisoner looking out of his cell window.  In the self-indulgent 21st century, Dad would have bought himself a new laptop, or at the very least a coffee mug emblazoned with the words author at work. Instead, in the grim 1930s, he hung onto a job and got married, then served in the war and spent the next 30 years paying off a mortgage. He threw out the newspaper clipping, so my brother and I never got to read his words.  

He was a great Dad and he put his own dreams on hold to raise a family: I owe him my education and my opportunities. More than that, I owe it to him to put inherited talent to use.





Bio: Madeleine McDonald lives on the windswept coast of England. She finds inspiration walking on the beach before the world wakes up.




Blurb:

When a family friend invites widow Ellen Ross to the Basel art fair, she stifles her misgivings and takes a hesitant step toward healing. Yet it is an accidental meeting with youthful Swiss artist Christian Karl that offers her an escape from grief. Captivated by his zest for life, she is shaken on her return to find she carries his child. 
Christian takes pride in seeing through the facades his sitters present to him. When he paints Ellen, he sees passion and courage beneath the prim, conventional shell she shows the world. Despite her denial, he cannot believe his instinct has betrayed him. To find the truth, he must pursue his love to her native Scotland. 
Face-to-face again, Ellen must decide--can she accept Christian's optimistic approach to life and take a gamble on their future? Or will pride force her to reject him?

BUY LINK:



9 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Even though you didn't read the clipping, I'm glad you know about your dad. And I'll bet he didn't "put his dreams on hold." I'll bet the dreams just changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Madeleine, what a beautiful tribute! I know your Dad is proud and smiling! Congratulations on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet tribute. Thank you for sharing. I'm sure your dad is very proud of you. I like Liz's comment - that his dreams just changed. I think that happens a lot for parents. I know mine have. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. I agree with you that dreams and priorities change once you have a family but it is also true that raising a family while earning a living absorbs time and energy and our dreams have to be more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Madeline. Thank you for being a guest today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tribute to your father.

    ReplyDelete
  7. echoing others, what a really nice post and great tribute to your dad. It's too bad he didn't save a copy to pass on, but life often overshadows things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful tribute to your dad! He would love it that you're writing!

    ReplyDelete