Sunday, February 23, 2014

Author Interview- Lyndi Alexander

Rounding out the incredible repertoire of author Alana Lorens, we have a book I am certainly looking forward to reading. Writing as Lyndi Alexander she brings us her paranormal mystery LOVE ME, KISS ME, KILL ME.

Tell me three words that describe yourself starting with A, B, and C.
Antique
Breakable
Curious

What are your three favorite things?

My three favorite things are close work with a fun collaborator, a day when the weather is just right and I feel good, and hanging out with little kids who laugh a lot.

If you could spend the day with any celebrity, who would it be?

I think I’d like to hang with Robin Williams—he’s just so spontaneous and fun. You never know what’s going to come out of his mouth, but it always seems to be hilarious.  But I think I’d honestly be exhausted by the end of the day!

How much is your character like you?

I spent several years as a reporter and editor at the South Dade News Leader, a small daily newspaper in Homestead, Florida. It was honestly one of the best jobs I ever had. I got to try all kinds of wild things—flew an F-16 navy jet flight simulator (crashed and burned in less than three minutes. NOT pretty), traveled with the Coast Guard on drug searches, interviewed everyone from senators to drug dealers to morticians. So I know a lot about how Sara Woods does her job. As someone who also suffers from chronic pain, I could sympathize with her willingness to try anything to just feel good.

 When not writing, what can you be found doing?

I adopted my ex-husband’s three kids as very small children, and they’ve all grown up to have a diagnosis on the autism spectrum. Two of them still live with me, and we spend time working on their therapies, social skills and other objectives. At one point we were spending 60 hours a week in various therapies…fortunately we’re down to about 10 a week now. But it does tend to be a priority.






Blurb:

Running away isn’t necessarily the answer.

In her mad rush to escape a failed marriage, Sara Woods takes the first job available and lands in the middle of a mystery. Her first assignment as a news reporter for the Ralston Courier is the investigation of a string of deaths, all young women, all her age.

She becomes a patient at the Goldstone Clinic, a local mecca of healing, to deal with chronic pain from her past. But all is not as it seems at the Goldstone, its doctors and nurses are all the picture of perfect beauty and health. Patients at the clinic first seem to get better, then they deteriorate. Sara enlists the help of Dr. Rick Paulsen, who teaches her how to access her internal power, skills she never knew she had, revealing secrets from her past. Police officer Brendon Zale also takes an interest in Sara, but he acts like a stalker, watching her every move, and he won't leave her alone.

As she digs deeper into the story, and more young women die without explanation, she tries to choose allies wisely, but not till the last confrontation does she discover the identity of her true enemy.

By then, it’s too late.

Excerpt:

Rick sat in the heavy tall-backed brown leather chair behind the desk. He studied me, and I studied him. Finally I asked, “How long have you worked here in the emergency room?”
            “Nearly five years,” he answered, an underlying amusement making me wonder how deeply he was reading my attraction to him. “Yes, I find emergency medicine extremely satisfying. Yes, I enjoy the adrenaline rush of trauma cases, but it’s hard not to take patient deaths personally. No, I wouldn’t prefer another specialty. Yes, there’s an increase in strange things during full moons.”
            I stopped writing about halfway through his speech, realizing he had anticipated my next questions. “You must have done one of these interviews before.”
            “Three, maybe. Or five. Since TV has inspired people to find out all about emergency room hotties and our raunchy sex lives in the drug and linen closets? Yes, definitely the flavor of the week.”
            In spite of my determination to be professionally distant, I laughed at his self-deprecating humor. Good for him. “I hadn’t even gotten to that yet!”
            “I can wait if you like.” He picked up a pen and fidgeted with it. “I’m sure your angle is different than the last fellow who was here. He was more interested in blood and guts.”
            There it was. My opening handed to me on a plate. “Actually, I have a blood and guts kind of question for you.” I leaned forward even more and looked him in the eye, calling it brown, green, hazel or any color but blue. “About Lily Kimball.”
            He pulled back, his smile fading. “What about her?”
            I could see questions in his eyes. Was I here to accuse him? To crucify him in some way? I spoke up quickly to get past his fears. “I was at the scene this morning. I’ve been trying all day to find out something about her, anything, any reason why she would have been out there in the cold.”
            His fingers tightened on the pen he was holding until they were red. “Tell me what you saw.”
            “She was so thin,” I said. “Pale, except for damage from the frostbite. She wasn’t wearing any winter clothing, just a jersey and jeans. She didn’t look like she’d been hurt, stabbed, bruised in any way. Just…limp.”
            Rick hadn’t moved while I spoke. His gaze had become more intent, like a microscope focusing in on a specimen for examination. “Which way was she walking?”
            I closed my eyes a moment, orienting myself to the road. “She was on the west side of Route 24. If I had to guess I’d say she was heading for the Declan Highway.”
            He paused, silent, contemplating.
            “Was she your patient?”
            My pen hovered over the pad as his stricken silence continued. I wished I could read him as easily as he seemed to read me. I’d shared more, perhaps, than I should, but all that information would be public record on file at the police department. Whether they chose to do more with it than shelve it away depended on outside information. Like whether Rick Paulsen had contributed in any way to Lily’s solitary winter death march.

Links:   For more information, see http://lyndialexander.wordpress.com/love-me-kiss-me-kill-me/

You can buy this book at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble.com, Smashwords, and more. And while you're at it, don't forget to grab her other books as well.


                 













Thank you Alana Lorens/ Lyndi Alexander for being with us. We wish you much success.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you Lyndi for being with us today. I think it's amazing how you've been able to write four distinctly different books. How hard/easy was it to change mental gears when writing them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stories come very organically, in their own way, so I don't have a problem with that. I didn't even include my sci-fi space opera series and my elf books! It's a wide range indeed. Thanks for having me!

    ReplyDelete