Saturday, October 17, 2015

Do you NaNoWriMo?

Last year was the first time I'd ever heard of NaNoWriMo. 
I started seeing it cropping up again and again on Facebook posts and in emails. 
Intrigued, I started to do some digging and what I found out was so awesome that I promised myself I would attempt it this year.

So, what is NaNoWriMo, you ask?
NaNoWriMo  stands for National Novel Writing Month. 

It's an international event where writers dedicate the entire month of November to writing a 50,000 word book. It's also place where you can come together to get inspired, make new friends, compete in writing challenges, and earn participation badges. 
Sounds fun doesn't it?

To this busy mom who works full-time and writes whenever she can find a moment, I'm not sure if it'll be all that fun, or it will be more like self induced torture. But I'm determined to give it a shot.
Why? Because I really need to buckle down on this writing thing. 
As Oprah Winfrey once said, "Do what you have to, until you can do what you want to."
I would love nothing more than to be a full-time writer. To do that I need all the motivation I can get. 
NaNoWriMo seems like the perfect solution. One that I'm hoping can help me to establish better writing habits.

Since I have no experience with NaNo, I've asked a few of my fellow published authors for their advice and they were more than happy to allow me to share their thoughts with you in coming posts.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear from you. What advice do you have for a NaNo newbie?






No comments:

Post a Comment